After much planning by Robert Dixon, the elders of the Una congregation in Nashville, and interested Christians in Gallatin, the Ramsey dwelling at 460 South Water was purchased to remodel as a meeting house for what was to be known as the South Water congregation. On April 6, 1952, forty-nine Christians placed membership to form the nucleus of the new congregation.
Miles Ezell, Ben High and Jim Neal, who were elders of the Una congregation, provided the necessary leadership for South Water during its infancy. In February of 1956, W.U. Heady, Harry Kittrell, and W.E. McDearman were selected as the first elders of the congregation.
Robert Dixon was the first minister for the congregation. Other ministers have included:Virgil Richie, R.C. Walker, Charles Cobb, Bob Prater, Ben Flatt, Mark Hearn, James Harris, Stan Jones, Charles Williams, Jonathan England, Mike Winkler, Andy Baker, Mark Hagewood, Burnice Wesbrooks, Jeremy Brown, Stephen Russell and youth interns Mike Benson, Matthew Morine, and J.D. Cantrell. Presently serving are Doyle Farris, Brian Jarrett, and Josh Moore.
Within a year of its beginning, the membership had exceeded one hundred and continued to grow through the years. Due to steady growth, a new building was erected on the Ramsey property in 1954, with the construction of an addition on the front of the auditorium in 1960. Since future expansion of the facilities at South Water was not possible for lack of available land, in 1966, five acres on Hartsville Pike were purchased for the purpose of constructing a new building. The new facility on Hartsville Pike was completed in 1974. Upon moving to the new site, the name of the congregation was changed to the Hartsville Pike Church of Christ.